Sunday, 21 January 2007

Experiment 1.

Investigating the effects of Champagne on patient suffering during chemotherapy.

Introduction: Chemotherapy can be crap, leaving the patient ill, fatigued and a bit fed up. However, recent findings have hinted that the odd glass of champagne can be very beneficial to the mental well being of those undergoing chemotherapy. We set out to prove that patients should be prescribed free champagne on the NHS (I wish!).
Methods: One bottle of the finest champagne was opened (supplier Shelley, Cornwall, UK). Glasses were poured continually over the period of one evening. The effects on the patient were recorded.
Results: The Champagne in question tasted wonderful and went down very easily. The consumption of this bubbly drink left the patient feeling happy and content and a little giggly. The patient even forgot all about the chemotherapy for once.
Conclusions: Champagne consumption is important to the mental well being of patients while undergoing chemotherapy and the odd glass now-and-then may help contribute to a feeling of normality. However, the ability of the patient to feel OK enough to drink a bit of alcohol will vary greatly throughout the treatment and so, in conclusion, they should make the most of the "good-times" whenever they occur.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn,

Glad to read that you are feeling better and that the Champagne experiment worked a treat. Will you be trying different qualities of it next or just sticking with the most expensive? Anyway, look after yourself.

Rich from Dundee

Anonymous said...

a few more trials should be conducted to get a more conclusive outcome

Anonymous said...

Dawn
As a (quite poorly qualified) statistician, I am greatly interested in your Champagne experiment, and obviously I wish you all the very best of success with it. However, sample size is all important - and I don't mean the quantity in each glass. Also, as you'll know, you must have a "control". So, I propose that whenever you're going to drink a bottle of bubbly, let me know and I'll join you and keep a track of my results also! In fact I think everyone who reads this should join in, for the purposes of scientific research obviously. Cheers!
Plus, I apologise for missing the "Wig-off" but my vote would be for D. Then again, I'd have to vote for the Gingery one wouldn't I?
KEEP BLOGGING!
DG.

The Knit Nurse said...

I must agree with the other reviewers that a much larger sample size is needed to draw any meaningful conclusions. I would like to see many more tests conducted. ;)

Anonymous said...

So, if DG is jumping on the band waggon (sp?) with his statistics expertise then I believe that I, too, should participate in the research trial because of it's link with mental health. After all, you are conducting a field trial on the effects of champagne on mental state. Right up my street. Not only that, but with my, your and J's research experience I reckon we'll have no problem getting it past the ethics committee. I am happy to promote the concept to a wider audience in the north west. Have you got a name for your discovery yet? You'll need one when you're famous. The Wild Champagne Effect maybe? SK

My Guestbook

???? dont ask me how to add youself yet - I havent figured that one out....... but clearly some of you have- so it can't be that hard :)