So, Tuesday my chemo starts.... feeling quiet apprehensive because I just don't know how it's going to make me feel. I could deal with it fine and be one of the lucky ones... but then I could be unlucky and it could wipe me out. There is no way of knowing until I just get on with it.
Chemotherapy drugs work by killing fast growing cells and therefore hopefully killing cancer cells that have spread into my body. However, many other normal cells in my body are quick growing (such as those in hair, nails, mouth etc) and can be killed by this treatment also.
Immediately after getting your drugs and for some time after, nausea and vomiting can be a main side effect. They should give me anti-sickness drugs beforehand to help me control this. (I have got myself a nice bucket with sealed lid because the results of the sickness could be quite toxic to anyone who might have to help me deal with the sickness - step in my very understanding husband!). Tiredness and fatigue is also a common side effect and there is only really one main way of dealing with this - sleep and watching the remaining box set of CSI in bed!!! Generally you can be wiped out for 4-6 days but I might be different, who knows.
The Epirubicin drug can lead to a sore mouth and give you a horrid taste in your mouth and change the taste of foods. James and I have been for a curry now while we still can before I could potentially go off it! I think my favorite piece of advice I have come across so far is that "Your food may taste nicer if someone else cooks it"!! Also, because the cells in your mouth are targets for the cytotoxic drugs you are prone to ulcers and mouth infections. I have got myself the softest of softest toothbrush to go with the baby shampoo and body wash :)
Chemo can also effect your blood cells making you prone to anemia, bruising and bleeding. The main one that a hypochondriac such as myself is worried about is the possibility of infections. Seven-14 days after receiving your drugs your immune system can get wiped out making you susceptible to infection. Oh Joy - its only the cold and flu season!!! I might have to take care to avoid anyone who has an infection, sore throat, cold etc. I haven't got to the bottom of whether I should be avoiding crowds or not when I am at the "low point", but I am sure a spot of retail therapy at some point could be therapeutic. I have got myself a thermometer and I will need to keep an eye on my temperature and if it starts to rise I have to get in touch with the hospital. Then just as my immune system picks up and the effects start to wear off I am ready to get my next chemo shot.
So, bring it on! At the moment I just don't know what its going to be like, but it will probably be well documented on here. Most of all I hope to be able to carry on working to some extent throughout this and be as normal as possible - lets just see.
Sunday, 7 January 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
We're thinking of you Dawn. Good luck for Tuesday.
Rob & Ali
Will keep everything crossed for your side effects. Whatever happens at least you'll soon know what the routine is and how it's going to make you feel. Good luck. Hx
Hi Dawn - Mike (a colleague of Jim's) here. Good luck with chemo -just remember that the worst bit of the whole treatment, by a long way, is waiting for those biopsy results and you're through all that. My Celia went through almost the exact sequence as you almost exactly 2 years back and since treatment ended she's had a great time. I've e-mailed more to Jim.
Post a Comment