Wednesday, 28 March 2007

Stinking cold :(

Well, I guess it was inevitable given the state of my immune system, I have caught a stinking cold :(
I was really surprised by how quickly it came on. An hour after going to bed, with no signs of anything at all, I woke up with a really sore, scratchy throat. Two hours after this it included a tight painful chest... and then within another hour I was really snotty and struggling not to choke when I tried to sleep. Unfortunately, I cannot ignore the coincidence that it came on straight after letting my hair down and experimenting with an evening of boozing while on chemo :( am I not allowed ANY fun!!!!!

James and I had travelled down to Leicester the night before our special night away for a boys poker night and it's rival girls fondue party. It was so nice to let my hair down (yes, I know I don't have any!!!) and have several glasses of sparkling wine over an evening of general chitter-chatter and cheese (ummmmm cheese). So, when I got up the next morning on James' birthday ready for our special day away feeling rotten and not having had any sleep I didn't half feel a bit sorry for myself. However, I managed to dose myself up and pull myself together and we pootled off to Rutland for a very relaxing afternoon and evening none-the-less.

I had booked us into Beech House in Clipsham, Rutland. A cute little guest house over the road from it's michelin-starred restaurant The Olive Branch. We stayed in the Double Cream room complete with roll top bath in the middle of the bathroom. Very lovely. We also had a very enjoyable evening meal in the restaurant.

Anyway, now I am back home and snuggling up to get myself better. I guess my low immune system had been just about keeping the germs at bay and then I went and hit it with a bit of alcohol and so it gave up it's fight. I guess the one upside is that I didn't have a hangover to go with it (perhaps because being on chemo my body is used to feeling like its got a bit of a hangover at most times). So get better body you have another chemo hit to take next week. I am not going to let this little hitch stop me from continuing to enjoy the odd glass of champagne in the future, but it may make me think twice before having anything more than just the odd glass.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, that stinks! Don't know what you are allowed to take whilst on chemo & related medication, but I found that ginger root, and some garlic capsules really helped me get rid of a cough virus last year ...supposed to boost the immune system, but may have other properties so make sure you check first of course! ZS xx

The Knit Nurse said...

Maybe you just need to not have people breathing their germs on you when you're drinking. Have you tried that new Vicks anti-germ spray?? Might help.

You should be letting your hair down more than most people because you have all those wigs. ;)

Feel better soon.xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh no poorly Dawn!
Hope you feel better soon

Sarah M xx

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're not so good darling, look after yourself. Loads of love Chris & Angie

Anonymous said...

O no!! Hope the cold will go as quick as it came...(suppose it doesn't work that way?)

Take care and we all hope you will feel better soon!
Love, Han, Jan and Julie

My Guestbook

???? dont ask me how to add youself yet - I havent figured that one out....... but clearly some of you have- so it can't be that hard :)