Wednesday, 7 November 2007

One Year On.

It's my anniversary today!

one year ago today I went to get my biopsy results and got the shock of a lifetime.

But, rather than get all melancholy about what a big year it has been... I feel like celebrating all the great things that have come of this...

Firstly, I now have a bank of wigs for any future fancy dress parties I get invited to... my costumes will be based around which wig I can bring out of retirement
(who am I? if you have been watching Heros... "Save the Cheerleader, Save the world!", James is Arthur Dent from HHGTTG - "Don't Panic!").

The other things are all going to sound really corny.. but;

I feel I have learnt a lot about myself and have surprised myself that I am actually quite strong to get through this and I have just got on with it really (not that you can do much else).

James and I have been made stronger - not that we were not close or strong before but in some ways we have got through this together, never once wishing the other would have acted in some other way or said something else, not once with a bad word to one another. We know we can face anything in the future now.

I've made new friends. This may sound silly but I have got to know others who have had breast cancer, especially younger girls and although the circumstances I have got to know them are not what you would wish for it's nice to know they are out there. I've recently enjoyed a lovely evening out over dinner and a couple of glasses of wine with my new breast-friend Sarah which i really enjoyed. Long may that friendship last!

Breast cancer is now a part of me. It has shaped who I am now and who I will be in the future. I am certainly not going to shut this year off and never talk about it again, I am quite proud of getting through this. In some ways I am a different person with slightly different worries now. But I still let the little things worry me and I still can enjoy a good gossip about the trivial things in life!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn

We're ALL SO PROUD OF YOU!!!

It's an honour to have you as a friend and I will treasure you always

Love Marie x

Jo said...

How bizarre that I chose today of all days to have a peek at your blog again! Ok, strictly speaking it is the 8th now, but as I haven't been to sleep yet it is still the 7th to me :)

Really sorry you had a scare recently. Glad it didn't turn out to be sinister, but hope they get you sorted out soon.

Anyway, happy anniversary and hope there are many many more to follow.

Take care
Jo xx

Anonymous said...

To you and James, there is nothing to say that we haven't said before. You know what you both mean to us. Loads and loads of love to you both. You are both stars.
Chris & Angie

Unknown said...

Hi Dawn,
Well done for getting through this past year, and for sharing it with all of us so sensitively and wittily on your blog.
Here's to many happy anniversaries, and many fancy dress parties of course!
love marianne xx

My Guestbook

???? dont ask me how to add youself yet - I havent figured that one out....... but clearly some of you have- so it can't be that hard :)