Yes, the pills-from-hell (steroids) had made me water retentive and my face bloated like a big bouncy ball and yes, that went not long after finishing taking them.
However, I can't really blame the 2 stone that seemed to accumulate on my body during chemo on the steroids entirely. That was down to me being totally sedentary and eating like a crazy woman (well, some of that was due to pills-from-hell actually making me crave food to take away a funny taste in my mouth, but still there is no denying that scientific equation about calories in = energy out).
So I did think that once I stopped taking the pills-from-hell, stopped eating like a woman crazed, started being active in my daily life (let alone actually do some proper exercise), that I would see the weight just drop off me.
No! Despite having concsiously tried to eat healthily and sensibly since christmas and taking on a new love of (low-level) exercise - it ain't doing all that much. Yes, I am feeling so much healthier and more energentic and I am slowly tip-toeing down the pounds. But my BMI is still in the overweight category - Grrrrrrrrrr - although if I am generous with my height measurements I can just teter on the boundry with normal ;-D
Don't get me wrong, I am not unhappy with my weight and don't think I am actually all that fat (whatever my BMI score says!) and I certainly don't feel self-conscious anymore like I did with the bloated bouncy ball face. I would just like to be my old dress size and I guess it will just have to be a gradual continued effort to get there (no big suprise that then). I have read that many women think that Tamoxifen can make you put on weight and so that might be why I am not loosing much. But, I don't really beleive that - I think that is an excuse to explain away being lazy and fat!
Anyway, perhaps I should resurect the graphs and publish my weight for all to see - that would be an incentive to shift those pounds! I thought for the purposes of this blog entry I should also include some photos to illustrate me at the start and end of 6 months of chemotherapy - I think it is self explanatory which waist-line is which (I haven't selected a deliberately-horrible frumpy post-chemo one to prove my point or anything! honest ;-D ).




3 comments:
Well I thought you looked really nice when we saw you the other weekend. And certainly you didn't look overweight whatever your BMI says.
I've been eating like a pig throughout this pregnancy and I'm now a sedentary creature cos I've got pelvis problems so i can't move about. So, I'll give you a 2 month head-start whilst I have said bairn and recouperate, then I'll join you in trying to slim sensibly.
Now, I must go and eat that Pizza Express cheesecake.
SK x
Have just caught up with your last few blog entries...
Congratulations on being discharged, that is just the best news!
I find it hard to believe you fall into the 'overweight' category; you're just undertall right?!
The other thing about exercise is that it builds up muscle tissue, and doesn't that weigh more than fat anyway?
Glad to hear that you're feeling good; it's amazing what seeing the sunshine can do after so long hiding behind the clouds - it's certainly made me feel better anyway! And spring is just around the corner - hurrah!
Hope we will see you soon.
ZS xx
BMI is a pointless measurement. People say that if you loose weight slowly it is easier to keep it off. You look good and you look happy too, which is all that really counts.
I was really confused by those two photos when I first looked because I hadn't quite realised they weren't just one photo. Two Dawns. I really need a holiday.
Hx
Post a Comment