Thursday, 21 December 2006
meeting oncologist today
I am feeling really positive about today's appointment. We will be meeting with the oncologist later to discuss which drugs they are thinking of giving me. I really want the chemo, it is still possible that even with the cancerous tissue removed and gone it can recur in other parts of the body. It then becomes "secondary cancer" and is no longer curable - which is a bit pants. My understanding is that it can be controlled for many many years in many cases, but I am not going to let it get to that stage. So, this is where the chemo comes in, killing cancer cells that may have escaped into my bloodstream. This gives me the best chance of disease-free survival which is why we do it - despite it being a horrendous thing. I am keeping an open mind at the moment about that side of things. I am ready to give in completely to what my body says and just sleep if it says sleep. On the other hand it might not affect me as much as others and it could just be something to be endured once in a while in between a normal everyday life (although i do have a tendency to be feeble at the best of times normally). Anyway, I almost cannot wait to get in there and discuss all about the chemo and really want it to start as soon as possible. So obviously I will be straight back on the blog to document everything (and to think I thought I might never come and write on this - its so therapeutic!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Ive just caught up with the blog after a few days and am so pleased to hear the op was so successful. Great news to round off the year. Maybe it will help if we all drink champagne for you as well - i'll get onto it straight away!
I know chemo is different for everyone but my mum found she slept for 1/2 a day, then felt ick for 1-2 days (...chocolate helps), then was totally fine for the rest of the week. Once you get into a routine you'll probably be able to pick which day you have your chemo, so you can select which days you know you're going to feel well (so you SHALL go to the Ball) (if there is one) (or, if you don't want to go, you can make sure you have chemo the day before!!). SK x
Hope it goes well. x
That was me - Ruth C - by the way, forgot to say!
Post a Comment