On Tuesday 5th December I will be going into hospital to have my surgery. It will be exactly 4 weeks since James (my lovely husband) and I had our worlds turned upside down by the news. I never know what I have told everyone so this blog entry is to try and make sure I have filled everyone in on things!
I found the lump on the last day of our wonderful wonderful honeymoon. I can't remember how I found it, I think I must have been putting on suncream or something. Anyway, at the time I wasn't the slightest bit worried by it - I just knew that I would need to go and get the OK from the doctor. So, I got the first available appointment with my GP when I got back - she said she didn't think it was anything to worry about but I should go and get it checked out at the Breast Unit. She phoned up there and then and by 10am that morning I was having an ultra sound. Again I received the news that it looked very much like a harmless fibroadenoma - but just to be on the safe side they had to take a biopsy and I should come back in for the results the week after. So I went back just expecting the all clear.
However, it wasn't to be - 10 days after first finding the lump I had been diagnosed with breast cancer. All I keep hearing is how suprised they all were and none of the team expected it. I also keep hearing how rare it is to get it so young. This I find really hard; I don't want to be unusual - I dont want to be rare - I just want it to be bogstandard. But anyway..... I was assigned a Macmillan specialist breast care nurse who is just so fantastic and has spent a lot of time talking things through with James and I. We had to go back the day after the diagnosis day to have a mammogram (again nothing showed up on this) and have a biopsy done on several enlarged lymph nodes to see if it had spread there. Then we had to come back the following week for the results of this. So far they haven't found cancerous lymph nodes. I also was sent for an MRI as part of a clinical trial (assigned randomly by computer to get the scan or not - it is a real life "computer says no" moment - I got a yes). We went to see my consultant for these results just last week and they found nothing else to worry about in either breast - it was so nice to get some good news, and meet with my very lovely surgeon to discuss all this surgery buisness. It's now 3 days until the surgery and I cannot wait - after the surgery it will be gone and I can start really fighting it and what it may have left in my body.
Sunday, 3 December 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment