Well, I have passed the quarter way through point and have been administered dose 3.
This last week it has been building and I now well and truly feel that I am on chemo. Fatigue has kicked in and my whole mindset about it has changed. I now have to plan to do one thing per day and save up my energy for that. I have to think beforehand that after an hour, or maybe two, tiredness will hit and so I will need to come back home for a nap. It just needs an hours recharge and I am OK again. I also have to plan to have myself a full-on relax day the day after I have allowed myself a trip out to do something otherwise I don't recharge properly.
Fatigue is a bit weird. Its not just sleepiness.... its hard to describe... but for completeness of reporting on my blog I will have a go. I start to feel a queasy sea-sickness feeling growing in my head which is the first sign I am going to flag. Then sentences become hard work and my ability to follow conversations slows down. I then start to get a heavy feeling in my body and all my limbs become heavy and hard to move. I feel walking becomes a bit like dragging my body along. But I am seriously scaling down what I can do from now on and will just go with the flow and it should hopefully become easier if I am not expecting so much or pushing myself as much. Plus, I think I will lend myself very well to slow pottering and the occasional cake baking and housewifely duty.
Yesterday my chemo nurses said I was doing really well. Apart from fatigue, other side effects are now being really well controlled and it's not that hard-going pain and suffering wise. She did tell me that the drugs I were getting were the most toxic and hard going of the chemo drugs they administered and said I was coping really well with it. She also told me that I must keep up with the high calorie diet (get in!... I am going to take this fully on board).
Now onto chemo dose 3. Hmmmmm... going into clinic for the last 2 doses wasn't too bad an experience really. This time it wasn't enjoyable (not that the others were but I was quite happy to have a giggle and a chat with the staff on the others and walked out like nothing had happened).
This time I went into chemo feeling drained and nauseous. At least on the others I had felt back close to normality ready for the next hit. So this time in clinic I was a bit tired and emotional and had a few moments. The pre-chemo nausea may have been anticipation nausea (in my head basically). I was into the chair around 11 this time and finishing off around 1. However I had to stick around a little longer because the cyclophosphamide was given a little bit too quickly right at the end and I got a huge head rush to accompany the funny nose feeling. This sent me into a semi-comatose state for 20 minutes so I had to have a little shut eye before I was able to attempt to stand up and leave. This eased but didn't really pass and so from that moment on I felt crappy and was straight to bed and sleeping for the afternoon. I had my nausea meds switched and started even earlier on these and perhaps I was slightly better with just the one vom session around 8pm but again had a good nights sleep and have woken up much clearer and free of serious nausea feelings. Hooray. Staying in bed though!!
Anyway, this may have sounded like one big moan session... I am just trying to tell it how it is and suprising my spirits are still riding high.
Wednesday, 21 February 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Thinking of you as always!!!
Keep resting and watching CSI.
We'll plan something good and relaxing (or reading the blog eating can be involved whenever you want!) to do soon. Marie x
Glad you're taking it easy for now and the nausea is minimal. Yey for having a quarter done!!! xx
cant wait to see you when i visit. Ill be more than happy to help you during my stay with the consuming of high cal foods they are my speciality! plus all the lounging around we can do together lol
love you loads. lil sis xxx
Can I send you something to watch to help relieve the boredom on those days when you don't feel like moving? The Complete Bod? Willo-the-Wisp? The Flumps? Ivor the Engine (that's Dave's!).
It always makes me feel sad to hear you are feeling so lousy; but keep that chin up (and the feet!) and enjoy pigging out with a very valid reason!
ZS xx
Keep going Dawn - thinking of you lots. I think the wig looks incredibly glamourous and can recommend cheesy chips as a yum high calorie snack!
Ruth C x
Post a Comment