Friday, 30 March 2007

Half way through!

Woo hoo, yesterday I went for my chemo half-way point medical review! It feels like it has gone really quickly, however, if I think about having the same again still ahead of me to face it's quite daunting. Especially as it is getting harder each time round in clinic.

The doctor went through the side effects which I might have to face with my new drug Taxotere and how it will be administered. She also went through things to look out for which might be signs of dangerous infections and which would need me to phone the emergency line at the hospital. I have to look out for things such as feeling very wiped out along with a sore mouth (which sound pretty much like the normal side effects of chemo to me!!!).

Most of the appointment was spent examining me about my cold (which is still very much there). She didn't think it needed hospital admission (yes you did hear right... hospital admission over a common cold!!!!) but they took some blood tests and let me go home and said they would call if there were any problems. She sent me home with some pre-emptive antibiotics to take over the next week before my chemo because viral things can often develop into bacterial infections. The threshold of administering antibiotics is much lower in an immunosuppressed patient and we really want to get me better for my chemo next Tuesday. She did say they could delay the chemo a few days but it's so important to me to try and keep on track. grrrr... so I am still pretty worse for ware.

However, I did get a good giggle in the clinic...
I was weighed by the nurse before seeing the doctor. The official figures are in and I have put on over a stone since my pre-chemo weigh in. However, when I went in to see the doctor she had to go and re-weigh me because she couldn't quite believe I had put on so much weight since the start of chemo. Yes, the scales were correct!!! She is now deciding whether to recalculate my drug dosage due to my increase in body weight. he he ;-D
Don't worry it wont detract me from my high calorie diet, I think I am going to stick with James' lovely cooking (I had to put that in there because he got all offended when I blurted out "I'm eating lots of crisps" to the doctor when she asked about the weight increase!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loads of love as usual and our compliments to your chef. Chris & Angie

Anonymous said...

He he he.... I had to have my doseage recalculated too!!! I blamed the steriods for increasing my appetite dramatically! You sound like you are on good form at the moment, take care S xxxx

My Guestbook

???? dont ask me how to add youself yet - I havent figured that one out....... but clearly some of you have- so it can't be that hard :)