I do also wonder how much this sudden low has to do with the massive, and I mean massive, pile of washing up that is giving me evils me from the kitchen :) oh poor me.... I suddenly came over all weak... I couldn't possibly do all that washing up.... I just had to sit here and make more and more washing up (I am still eating like a trouper!) :)
So I am going to give myself a few hours out and then think about maybe doing the washing up and then making a cottage pie. Woo hoo the fun never stops ;-D
So now onto Hobby Trial part. 1
This hobby is definitely one that suits my OAP-like energy levels. It keeps my hands busy without actually needing any serious concentration (which is quite lacking). The aim is to knit myself a wrap/shawl.... and then go out and buy a new dress to go with it (he he, don't you just love my reasoning). I have utilised the Internet to show me how and now my transition into middle age is finally complete (or have I by-passed that and just gone straight for the old age!). Secretly I am very proud of myself for achieving this. I will be even more proud when I achieve the shopping and buying of the new dress.
This whole task could take some time to achieve so I am planning on investigating some other activities alongside this. The one I have been telling myself I should do all the time so far during chemo is sort out digital photographs for printing and putting into albums... as yet this has not materialised, but I think it should be a great one for sitting down with tea and biscuits in lots of short easy manageable stints.
Another is Gardening. Since moving into the house which was complete with a very lovingly cared-for garden... I have slowly managed to kill off plants left right and center just by touching them. There really is no excuse now for not learning what I am supposed to do with them all (as long as that learning doesn't involve too much reading up on it in which case this interest might not be all that long lived). I can then pop out and tackle tidying/planting one plant every-so often. Nothing too much, but as I have become the most sedentary I have possibly ever been a little light exercises in the garden shouldn't be too hard to achieve surely (he he how many times has a chemo patient said that I bet).
I have written all these down because so far, 3 cycles down, I haven't actually done any of them. So if they are here looking at me I might be able to focus a little more.


5 comments:
Shawl very impressive! (My Great-Gran would have been proud ;-) ).
It's just about time to start shoving random veg seeds in the ground if you're thinking about gardening - I'd get your hubby to dig over the veg patch first though! ;-) I'm just starting to get my tiny, tiny veg garden going for the first time and I'm going to have lots of spare seeds if you want some! (Now's a good time to start off chilli plants on a windowsill somewhere - I've got some spare cayenne and jalapenos...)
Hey hey hey! Knitting does not make you middle aged, or even old aged. Lots of young, trendy, happening type people knit. Well maybe that's not strictly true, but Kelis and Sienna Miller both knit, for example (notice I didn't include myself as an example there). :)
Sorry Hannah!
... although I do think it is a teeny-weeny bit middle-aged. I never thought the day would come when I would stay at home knitting instead of clubbing all night! but that day has well and truly come... and put like that it sounds pretty middle aged to me!
The old comment was more that I had chosen to knit something called a "shawl" :D
Hi,
I found this blog through Knit Nurse. I hope you don't find this at all patronising but I am writing a book about knitting for others and included in the book will be some headgear for people with hair loss/having chemo.
My publisher suggested a turban headscarf and I feel a bit strange about the turban bit. Do you have any quick do's and don'ts to guide me on my way? Obviously, non scratchy, well fitted, pretty etc etc.
I am assuming you are Dawn,who is going through some chemo at the mo is that right because blogger connections are going wild this evening!
hi Erssie, dunno how to contact you so I will just post my own comment back.
I am realtively young for the breast cancer thing and the most important thing for me is not looking like a cancer sufferer... and turbans for me can look so "cancer". But thats just me... and a lot of people do go down that route so dont write it off.
For me hats that are quite trendy and that would be found on the shelves of accessorise would really be exciting. I would really really like to have something with a little bit of interest to it, but that actually works for someone with a baldhead (quite a big ask but if you crack it you are on to a winner!!!).
I have tried to do a bit of searching the internet myself to try and find hats to fit the bill to have a go at, and if you want me to give you any more ideas about things that caught me eye I would happily spend an afternoon trying to find some examples for you ;-D
Needs to be something I can wear snuggly everyday round the house ... and for that soft and snug and forgettable (hannah's one is the ultimalte perfect for that... mainly due to the yarn she used). It is really light too. My main problem has suprisingly been having a hot head (i think the chemo gives me internal heating), not as I expected a cold one. And so i have to balance covering the baldness with just wanting to whip it out and cool down!!! I still prefer hats to scarfs as they can go on and off just like that.
As for fit they need to come down quite far.. possibly fitting snugly past your ears and at the back to cover up not having hair. Normal hats might stop a bit early and its then obvious you don't have hair.
Let me know if you want any more info.. I would happily be your "chemo advisor" ;-D
Post a Comment