Tuesday, 24 April 2007

I seem to have the hiccups.

No chemo for me today :-(

All was good-to-go with my bloods, however, on giving me the drug I had an allergic reaction to it and they had to stop :-(
It happened right in the middle of a game of scrabble (and I was winning too, but I did spectacularly manage to throw a Z10 pointer under the chair in all the commotion - cunning hey!).

I had received about 5 minutes worth (25ml out of the 250ml) when I suddenly felt a bit weird in my chest, became very breathless and my heart-rate started going like the clappers. It was a bit scary. I went all hot and clammy and my lower back became really painful. But within seconds 3-4 nurses had sprung into action and started administering drugs and Piriton. It all was under control pretty calmly and quickly and started to settle. Doctors were called and I was checked over as okay but sent home with antihistamines.

I was a bit annoyed at myself that in the commotion I forgot to tell them they couldn't take my blood pressure on my surgery arm because I have had lymph nodes removed and it puts me at risk of permanent chronic fluid swelling in that arm (lymphodema) from anything such as injections, taking blood or blood pressure, acupuncture and Jacuzzis (yes how stupid!). I didn't even think about it until the second or third time they did it. Doh!

The nurse said these allergic reactions can happen on the second time you are exposed to a drug. So they decided to stop for today and get me back in on Thursday afternoon to try again. They will do a little test dose first and if it is all good they will give me the whole thing slowly over 3 hours instead of the usual one. Bit apprehensive but not too worried about it going ahead. Another lady on her second taxol (similar to Taxotere) had an allergic reaction too but much earlier in the day than me and they re-started her with no problems. So fingers crossed. Now I am in limbo as I was all ready for chemo today and now have to just wait another day or two.

3 comments:

The Knit Nurse said...

That's a bit frustrating for you. Hope it all goes better on Thursday and that you manage to get through the scrabble without hiding pieces. x

Anonymous said...

hey mate,

Cunning scrabble ploy...who thought of putting z's in scrabble..they are useless!!
Hope they manage to get the next dose into you ok.

Take care
Dr B x

Unknown said...

hi dawn,
sorry to hear about the allergic reaction. I hope you are feeling better today. Fingers crossed for tomorrow afternoon - will be thinking of you.
love marianne

My Guestbook

???? dont ask me how to add youself yet - I havent figured that one out....... but clearly some of you have- so it can't be that hard :)