I had another allergic reaction to the drug today and so chemo had to be stopped :-(
Today went pretty much like this;
I went in for 2:30 and we had my normal half-hour battle to find a vein that was willing to play. Four stabbings down and we were in. Hooray.
Then on top of the mega steroids I had taken that morning they pumped me full of even more steroids and a cocktail of allergy preventing drugs before we got started on the test dose.
So, the test dose was set going and I set to furiously reading my magazine and concentrating on what handbag and sunglasses I should be buying for the summer, but to no avail.... I started to feel the tight chest thing again.
It was nothing as bad as last time and I was able to call nurses over and tell them I thought it was happening again so they could stop the IV and I calmed down quite quickly. I still got the achy achy back again so I am pretty sure it was another allergic reaction. I also got hot and went the same colour as my red wig apparently.
So the upshot is that they are switching me to another drug (Taxol) and will try that one next Tuesday. I am not going to put too much about it here because there is no guarantee I won't react to that one and have to re-think things again. It is supposed to be less likely to cause allergic reactions than Taxotere so we will just see. The regime for that will be a low dose given every week for the next 9 weeks. So the same time scale really but I have another 9 chemo clinics to get through now.
Quick update: Another slight hiccup as there are no chemo slots available for Tuesday, so my next chemo trip is scheduled for the morning of Thursday 3rd May.
Thursday, 26 April 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Sounds like a bit of an ordeal. Hope you manage to have a relaxing weekend to recover from your allergic week. Good luck for Tuesday. xx
Oh Dawn ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))
Hope all goes well on the new drug. Time to dig out the champagne I think.... Good luck for thursday, hope to see you soon
Sarah F
Hey Flower - not everyone can shine in PINK!! Next week will be a crowning glory xx Sally
Post a Comment