Wednesday, 23 May 2007

Chemo brain!

Now, I know I brandish this "chemo-brain" excuse around for anything dippy I do. But, it is a real phenomenon I can tell you. My brain is not what it used to be and is a constant source of amusement (or is that exasperation) to James ;-D

Mainly is exhibits itself as an inability to make decisions, forgetfulness and delayed processing responses (i.e I should have a windows hour-glass timer above my head to indicate processing and thinking in response to a question).

Decision making - oh boy - this is what I struggle with most. I can't make decisions... my main one is trying to decide whether I want a cup of tea or coffee for example, I dither between the two before finally plumping for one, only when it finally comes realising I thought I had chosen the other option. Give me a choice of coffee's on top of this and I am sent into overdrive! Don't expect this decision to be a quick one.

Forgetfulness - what was I talking about, oh yes, chemo brain induced forgetfulness. I think I only need to detail one such example to illustrate this point. I went for our weekly shop last week with Normal T-bags at the top of the list. However, when I got to the supermarket I got so engrossed in choosing some other exciting T-bags to try out as my taste for milky tea has really changed during chemo.. So I came home with a total of 220 T-bags in 5 different varieties (assam, earl grey, green tea, herbal teas, decaf tea). However, what had I not bought- NORMAL bloomin' T BAGS!

Delayed processing time. The above weekly shop now is extended by about an hour to allow for me to stand in front of each thing I am attempting to buy, make a decision over which variety/flavour/cheapest option to buy, and then plumping for the one I want. In terms of me following conversations, if you get me when I am tired then sentences need to be entered into the Dawn's chemo brain processor, interpreted and then my brain has to attempt to string together a cohesive sentence in response (which it often fails) - so don't expect quick-fire conversation with me these days.

And that's about all I have to say on that topic and I expect to continue to brandish it around to explain away anything :-D

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have exactly the same problem in the supermarket but dont have anything like chemo brain. Of course Earl Grey always wins over Assam but it can take me at least an hour to choose which type of pasta to buy....and then I get chatting with the checkout girl and a whole day has gone.
Cassie x
PS - can I mention the football?

Anonymous said...

I have exactly the same problem in the supermarket but dont have anything like chemo brain. Of course Earl Grey always wins over Assam but it can take me at least an hour to choose which type of pasta to buy....and then I get chatting with the checkout girl and a whole day has gone.
Cassie x
PS - can I mention the football?

Anonymous said...

Personally I couldn't decide whether to respond to this or not, so I decided not to. O.K.? Think it must be my age ! Chris and ....er......Angie

Anonymous said...

I love that image of the windows hour-glass timer over your head! love Sarah M xxx

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to having a very interesting conversation with you: what with your inability to string words together in the right order, and my tendency to not be able to think of the word I need at all, it could be highly entertaining!
See you soon!

ZS xx

Anonymous said...

Hiya Dawn,

Here's my advice when you are shopping for biscuits: just always pick Custard Creams. No hesitation or decision making process there!!
;-)

XX Han

PS Can you imagine how much of those I will buy (read: eat) as soon as I am in Wales?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a description of me on a normal day! SK

Unknown said...

hi dawn,

remember the important stuff like that your friends care about you and think of you often. I will have to pop round for a cup of tea sometime - I guess it will take you a while to drink 220 cups!

love marianne xx

Anonymous said...

Now chemo brain I can identify with... but fear not, it resolves itself quickly once cemo is done with and the joy of having a normal conversation during which you don't forget several times what the topic/key word/person you're talking to is and which you manage to complete in double quick time is wonderful!! Your hair looks v cute :-) Lots of love Sarah xx

Jo said...

I could write a book about my chemo brain moments :) The amount of times I took the tv remote out instead of my mobile, put boiling water on my weetabix (shouldn't have multitasked and tried to make tea - or was that coffee? - at the same time!). Most scary one - leaving the front door open...all night... in the middle of winter! Durr!

Anyway, it does get better Dawn.

Joxx

ps - I love the egg timer comment - so true!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dawn,

I have to say this posting made me lol...i've made it to Sweden by the way..and I am with you in the dithering in supermarket stakes..although my dithering is due to the fact that everything is in Swedish!! it took me 10 mins to buy a pint of milk today..who could've guessed it'd be so complicated..and don't even get me started on looking for some porridge!!

Take care mate
x

My Guestbook

???? dont ask me how to add youself yet - I havent figured that one out....... but clearly some of you have- so it can't be that hard :)