you wait for a while and then 3 posts come along at once!
I had a medical review appointment at yesterday's radiotherapy session. I had built this up thinking it would be a check-over of my radiotherapy area (which I could use to get a couple of worries off my chest about a few pains and things). I also thought I would sort out my hormonal treatments to start after radiotherapy. Obviously the doc just had a quick glance at me, nothing more and couldn't really tell me anything about the next part of my treatment.
I have realised I am really not good when plans change and it can really throw me off course and cause the leaking eyes if I don't get the answers and discussions I was expecting to cover. I can deal with the big ole' things but give me a different doctor to the one I was expecting and that can trigger me off for a start.
So I am again a bit unsure about what the next stage is. My oncologist suggested Tamoxifen and Zoladex as I have mentioned. However yesterdays Doc threw in the fact that "it is debatable about whether hormonal therapies will provide any benefit" and that "If I was going to be given Zoladex to put me into the menopause I should have Arimidex which is more effective than Tamoxifen".
Hmmmmm I like to be involved in the decisions that get made about my treatment and take an active part to understand the options.... so now I am a bit unsure of the best course of action. Better get another appointment with my oncologist sorted to discuss it.
My general feelings about the "debatable" issue are to consider how I would feel in 2 years time if it came back and was shown to be responding to hormones and I hadn't taken any hormonal therapies..... I would feel a bit stupid then wouldn't I!
It's not like I can ask all my 'Breast Buddies' as every single young girl I have come across seems to be having totally different treatments. So I have blatently used my blog here to get it all off my chest - what a wonderful invention a blog can be.
Tuesday, 24 July 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Hello sweetie!!
Sounds like you are having a tough time about the hormonal treatment...wish docs would realise that you are a very intelligent schientist who wants to understand! And to have a little bit more control maybe too... Thinking of you lots and looking forward to meeting up when I have moved to Wales!!
Love, Han
Post a Comment