Wednesday, 8 August 2007

Rest and Recuperation.

It feels so nice to not be receiving any treatment this week. I am starting to feel much better than I did on chemo.

I have been told that the after effects of Radiotherapy will sadly get worse before they get better. So the next few weeks may have to still be a little low key. Generally redness on what I am terming the "Greater Breast Area" is receding. However the smaller square patch that surrounds my scar and extends under my armpit (where I received my boosters) is getting pretty red now. I have been given some dressings in case the skin starts to breakdown but I am hopeful that it is holding up very well.

My body is still very tired and I will have to make allowances for it for a little while yet. I have made an appointment with occupational health for the 12th Sept about planning my return to work. This will be a scaled return to work to build me back up to full hours gradually.

As for the future of this blog.... I will still be writing the blog as I will continue to get check-ups, doctors appointments and this-and -that to do with the cancer for some time (i.e for ever). However hopefully I will gradually start to move away from "cancer land" and it will become more like popping back now-and-then as opposed to all the time. To reflect this I have changed the title of this blog to 'living with breast cancer' as opposed to 'beating breast cancer'. I have come to realise that the words 'cure' and 'remission' don't really apply to breast cancer because it can rear it's ugly head again at any point. Therefore, I think the term the doctors would use for me now would be "NED" or "No Evidence of Disease". But, that will do very nicely for me :D

I have to go for a Thorax and Abdomen CT scan on Friday and then an appointment with my Oncologist for more of the Tamoxifen discussions next Tuesday. That's all fitted around this exciting hot-air balloon ride.... I don't dare to hope the weather will remain like this for the weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think NEDs are also the Scottish version of CHAVs - Non-Educated Delinquents. Hope that helps!
Cat

My Guestbook

???? dont ask me how to add youself yet - I havent figured that one out....... but clearly some of you have- so it can't be that hard :)