Tuesday, 29 July 2008

A friend I never met

Today I have been stopped in my tracks and now I am just sitting here and don't know what to do with myself. I just popped on to my breast cancer forum for a quick up-date with what's been going on there and found out one of the young girls I knew on there has passed away. I have never met this girl but she was always there online, chatting away, helping everyone out with advice to get through chemo, she was the one who put me onto my wigs on the internet.... and so it felt like I knew her. Hearing this news has brought me up short, she has been ill for a while and I always knew this day would come when one of the big breast cancer influences in my life lost their battle - but I didn't think it would be so soon. This may seem very foreign to everyone, feeling so deeply about someone you never met... but I have followed her journey closely.

She was diagnosed at the age of 29 (yes the same age that I was diagnosed) in July 2005. She got through chemo and came out the other side thinking she had kicked the disease into touch (much as I am feeling now!) but then sadly about 10 months after finishing treatment they found the secondaries; first her liver, then her brain, lungs and bone. It really upset me when 1 week after my "Brain cancer scare" last october I logged on and found out she had been in for brain scan results the same day as me but had come out with results that diverged us off on different paths and sent her down the route of brain surgery and me on the route to normality. I was really impressed that despite in October 07 being told she had 6-9months to live she had battled on and seemed to be holding her own and fighting to get on a clinical trail and the treatment she wanted. It wasn't to be. Her liver became too badly damaged as the tumours grew. Her journey had lasted 3 years. I don't know whether I should be writing all about her here on my blog, but I just felt I wanted to say something and just express how important she had been to me - even if she didn't know it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling Dawn, so sorry you have had this very sad news, especially as James has just gone away. I know you would have talked it through with him. There's not much we can do from here but send you a virtual cuddle, and if you want to talk, don't hesitate to ring. All our love Chris & Angie

Jo said...

Dawn

She was indeed a very special person and you're not alone in your feelings.

I first "met" Dee online very early on in my bc journey. We had our ops on the same day in 2005 and have chatted ever since.

I never managed to meet her in person. We had talked about meeting up so many times, but things just kept getting in the way. Then she was diagnosed with secondaries and it never seemed to be the right time...

I know she would be really pleased to know how many people are thinking about her, and missing her. A fantastic person who really did make a difference don't you think?

Jo x

Anonymous said...

Dawn

I've not been using the forums this time - but I remember Dee from before although I never specifically chatted to her. So sad to hear this news and I can completely empathise with how you feel.

S x

My Guestbook

???? dont ask me how to add youself yet - I havent figured that one out....... but clearly some of you have- so it can't be that hard :)