I have secured a position as an Event Assistant (1000 applicants nationwide and 5 posts up for grabs in the North so I am a bit chuffed at that). This means I will be right-hand-man to the Event manager at the Skipton, Ilkley, Bradford and York Race For Life events. And that kicks off for me tomorrow at 5am (yikes!) in Skipton.

There will be 2 Event Managers and 2 Event assistants (that's me) and a gaggle (hopefully) of volunteers. And we have to make this event run smoothly for 1700 ladies. I will be Start/Finish manager. Setting up all the start and finish area, setting up branding and goody bags, briefing and leading a team of volunteers, controlling the staggered start process for Runners and Walkers and most importantly starting the clock! The race cannot start until I am happy all safe and ready to go and I give the go ahead for the count down to start and the hooter to sound.
I am slightly nervous but I am sure once my first event is under my belt I will know just what to do. The event starts at 10:30 so I should be home early afternoon for a warm bath and a long sleep. Looking out the window currently with the rain pouring down doesn't fill me with confidence for the weather tomorrow, waterproofs may be the name of the game.
So, wish me luck and I plan to come back and document the events here.


No comments:
Post a Comment