Tuesday, 9 January 2007

RED!

All has gone smoothly with my chemo today. I am currently at home on the sofa starting to possibly feel a bit "fuggy" ... but today has gone fine so far (I don't know quite what I expected to happen!!!!). I was in for 10:30 this morning into the oncology clinic to have some blood tests and see the doctor to consent for my drugs. Then there was a bit of an apprehensive wait while they made up my drug pescription for administering but around midday I got taken into the IV suite. It was a room of big comfy chairs which I was settled into and then a lovely nurse came along to sort me out. She couldn't get the needle into my hand first time round so I had to put my hand in a bowl of hot water to bring up those veins, so after that little hitch it was on with the saline drip and the lovely toxic drug injections. The drugs get injected slowly into the saline drip line so they dont give you them in one big head rush. First I had some anti-sickness meds, then came the RED epirubicin.... 3 large 50 ml syringes of bright red fluids... it looked like it meant buisness. All the time the nurse was sitting there slowly injecting them and having a nice little chat. After that was one syringe of cyclophosphamide drug, which was colourless and so looked a little wussy after the bright red epirubicin and finished off with the rest of the saline bag. All this took around an hour or so in the chair and sometime around 2-3pm I was leaving. Didnt really feel much when the drugs were going in, possibly a little bit of a cold arm and a funny feeling in my nose (I suppose a bit like the feeling you get if you get water up your nose when you go swimming) so its quite strange to think that they are in my system starting to do their buisness and could be building up to trouble... but I have so many pills brought home with me for anti-sickness drugs etc so I am sure I will be well controlled.

I can also report that it has indeed made my pee go red, but the nurse said that should wear off quite quickly, shame! I also was discussing my blog with my nurse and the fact that I had had quite a good response to my "Champagne" post (thanks for all those bottles just waiting chilling in my fridge!!!) and she said that in her opinion she would entirely agree and I could quote her on that!

So now it's just wait and see what happens......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking that your blog name could be 'Rainbow Brite' on account of your multi-coloured wee!

ZS

The Knit Nurse said...

Wouldn't it be good if you could get to choose the colour of your wee? It would keep you entertained anyway. Hope the sickness is still holding off. x

My Guestbook

???? dont ask me how to add youself yet - I havent figured that one out....... but clearly some of you have- so it can't be that hard :)