Well, I am just getting myself up to start a monday morning and I am hoping I can start re-integrating myself into doing things and actually acheiving something with this week. James has gone back to work and I am confident I can be self-sufficient once more! Progress over the weekend wasn't as good as I had hoped - the stomach cramps intensified and my belly blew up to the size of something very big and round :) So there was quite a bit of pain, cramps and burning indigestion all down my insides. But, that is starting to pass and ease now - I recon it will be just a case of getting the right drugs in in advance next time now I know what side effects I get. This first week hasn't been pleasant, but I suppose its much like having a constant hangover-flu for a week which is do-able I just have to know my limits. The prospect of spending one week in 3 for the next 6 months unable to tackle much apart from telly is quite dauting but I might be able to take it in my stride a bit more next cycle when I know what to expect.
Mainly this week has been spent trying out all the wonder tips I have been picking up for living with chemo on t' internet. Ginger has been a reccuring theme for the sickness, so I have been chomping my way through ginger biscuits and have some ginger beer in the fridge ready. I can also safely say I am never going to try making vegetable based juices again. My attempt with carrot, apple and ginger was horrendous!! Chewing pineapple has been recommended for re-freshening the mouth so I have been chomping my way through a pineapple. and all sorts of other mad ideas have been coming up... flat coke... soda water.... nettle cordial... baxters cockaleekie soup (these are all tips from chemo ladies who have been there - done that!!!). But I think its generally working out what you can take... its a great excuse to be piccy and develop cravings I say!!!
I am thinking of trying to do some work from home this week. I am unsure how my body is going to fare over the next week when my immune system may be a little low and I am lucky in that I have got some work that needs doing from the safety of my own home. Once I get a feel for how wiped out my body gets on the second week of my cycle I could hopefully set out to do a bit more. I just don't like the idea of getting into Leeds only to realise it was a big mistake and it's then a long way home!
Right then, I will just start by making a nice cup of tea...
Monday, 15 January 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Make it a cup of Yorkshire Tea, that'll cure anything... When my mum had chemo 9 years ago she couldn't stand anything sweet - an excuse to drink lots of dry white wine (or champagne!) :-) Keep up with the blog, and I really hope the chemo does get better. Jonny
Post a Comment