Tuesday, 8 May 2007

Another Success!! Hoorah!

Yay, another positive step. I have survived the second dose of this drug without any allergic reactions! Also, I have got away without any tears or sickness too.

Chemo diary went pretty much like this;
11am popped onto the train into Leeds to go and get my pre-chemo bloods taken early so that there would be no delays waiting around for blood test results later on.
12am blood letting.
12-2 Lunch with friends and coffee, sofa and reading a book in the Robert Ogden cancer support centre.
2:30 Met James in clinic and had BP, heart rate, temp and weight (another 2 kg) taken
3:30 In to see the doctor for a pre-chemo review. This was a new registrar whom I hadn't seen before and so most of the appointment was spent with me telling him what treatments I was having and why. But, he Okay'ed my bloods to go and that is all that mattered.
4:40 Clinic was so busy that there were no free chairs for me until late
4:45 Hand into the hot water
4:50 First Nurse had a token stab at a vein (I think they realise that I am an awkard one and so have a stab first and then toddle off to get good old Martin - as far as I can tell he, on 12 years experience, gets called to do all the difficult ones - James did ask if he got performance related pay, but sadly no - he did get a fruit pastel out of it from us though).
4:55 One stab and he has it.
5pm On with the IV saline and steroids and anti-allergy cocktail pre-meds which were left to kick in (and make me drowsy) for 30 minutes.
5:30 On with the TAXOL.... slowly.... slowly.... feeling ok....wait a litte more.... still ok... ok now lets start reading a book.... still feeling fine.... 30 minutes gone and we up the pace... feeling good.. yay... oh, now I need the loo... cue dragging the drip along to the Loo (with James tagging along and waiting outside in case I went funny!)..... oohh, an ice lolly, yes please.... ummm cold.....
7pm All done and off we go home, phew a long one... I am a bit sleepy now.
8pm Home-sweet-home. Meat-balls and spagetti (nice big bowl) for tea
9pm Bed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I will have some bubbly to celebrate your successful dose :)
xx

The Knit Nurse said...

Hooray! Glad it went well, and you got an ice lolly too. Fab!xx

My Guestbook

???? dont ask me how to add youself yet - I havent figured that one out....... but clearly some of you have- so it can't be that hard :)