Sunday, 18 November 2007

Sleep.

Well, pretty much over these last few weeks my time has either been spent sleeping or thinking about sleep. I have been doing 3 slightly reduced days at work per week for a couple of weeks now and finding it really hard going. I had hoped to be up to 4 days in the next couple of weeks but after admitting that I was struggling it has been agreed that I should slow down my return to work. I may do more working from home or perhaps do a few less hours and hopefully that should mean I will have more control over life outside of work. Being so tired all the time has really got me down this last week and I don't want to arrange to do anything outside of work just so that I can take it easy and catch up on kip. I really can't keep that up long term, hence slowing down the return to work.

But, through working normality seems to be returning.
You would therefore think that I would want to put breast cancer far behind me and move on. Oh no, not me!!!! This weekend I have been to a younger women's forum run by breast cancer care. It was a 2 day event with talks on medical updates, diet and exercise after treatment, fertility and adoption, coping with uncertainty, and of course the mini makeover and mini manicures. I was put up in a hotel for a night in Leeds and there was an evening meal to get to know other women. I was able to meet others who had finished treatment about the same time as me and was reassured that how I am feeling at the moment is normal; most are not planning on going back to work till the new year so I am doing pretty well. I was still almost the youngest there even though it was supposed to be a younger women's forum - the majority being in their 40's. It was a really fab weekend all in all, especially after I had umm-ed and ahh-ed about going as it was time to move on, but I am really glad I went.

I also have signed up as a Macmillian patient volunteer to get involved in various things for them. My first assignment has just been sent to me in the post. I am to read and review the book "Breast Cancer for Dummies" so they can know whether it is useful, reliable, interesting and whether I would recommend it to others etc.

I have only started on a few pages so far. It seems like it will be quite good and its refreshing seeing it in the "for dummies" format. However, I am already getting annoyed by the "American-ness" of the book; talking about cheerleading squads and yes ma'am's and general American biased things. Grrr, it's really annoying but well a reviewers work is never done and I must just read-past that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't need us to tell you that you have had a hell of a bashing. You should heed your body's messages, and take it a bit easier. Don't overtire yourself. You've done so well .All our love C & A

Anonymous said...

Hello. I think it's great that you are sharing your experiences, like you are with the blog, not just pretending it never happened to you. I'm sure other young women out there are desperate to hear what it can be like to go through cancer diagnosis and treatment from someone who's been there, done that, got the wigs :) Hope you can get the work-sleep-fun balance sorted. With emphasis on the fun bits, of course! XxX

The Knit Nurse said...

I've never been able to get past the 'Dummies' title of those books.

I'm not surprised you're exhausted. I feel really tired and sleepy at the moment and I haven't had the massive dose of chemicals, radiation and stress on my body that you have had over the past year. This time of year is so energy sapping. My friend who works part time like you're doing, nodded off in the staffroom yesterday. You're doing great.

My Guestbook

???? dont ask me how to add youself yet - I havent figured that one out....... but clearly some of you have- so it can't be that hard :)